Responding to Covid-19 - March 12, 2020
Updated: Mar 18, 2020
March 12, 2020
Dear St. Paul’s United Community
I am taking a few minutes to update you on how our congregation will be responding to the current concerns around the Covid-19 pandemic. Following the guidelines of a conference call meeting held yesterday with Premier Horgan, Minister Adrian Dix and Dr. Bonnie Henry, Provincial Health Officer, the following steps and encouragements will be implemented for our faith community gatherings:
1. Most importantly, if you are not feeling well, stay home. If you have the following:
a. A fever
c. shortness of breath
please self-isolate and contact your doctor for next steps
2. If you are able to attend worship, you will notice the following practices will be suspended until further notice
b. Sharing the Peace
c. Hand shaking or hugging at any point, including when ushers welcome people
d. Offering plates will be at the back, in the narthex and envelopes can be placed in them before or after worship. Ushers will NOT be passing the plates around
e. Coffee time
*note that lunch will not be served before our AGM. please bring a snack if you think you'll need it.
3. For those who self-isolate, please know that bulletins and sermons are accessible on our website https://www.stpaulsunitedkelowna.com/ . In addition, Delaine and I are going to work on setting up live-
streaming on YouTube so that our services can be viewed on your computer in real time. I will let you know when we have this up and running.
4. I am also recommending that our faithful pastoral care visitors refrain from making any non-essential visits, so if you were hoping for someone to stop in, please be patient. It’s not that we don’t care, it’s that we care deeply.
5. Book Study will, for the time being, continue, as per their request. However, noting that some participants prefer to self-isolate, I have created a blog site where people can offer their insights, questions and wisdom and everyone in the book study can view them and respond. The link to this site will be sent out to the participants in a separate email.
At this point in time, we believe that these steps are cautious enough to help curtail the spread of the Covid-19 virus. However, we will continue to be attentive to the recommendations of the health professionals and make adjustments accordingly.
Yours in Christ,